When you meet our founder Edgar, it isn’t surprising that his startup company BenchMade Modern snagged the title of “Best Online Sofa” two years in a row from The New York Times’ Wirecutter. He’s on a mission to flip the script on the furniture industry. He’s not your typical furniture exec. He grew up as a graffiti artist and can now be seen commuting to work on his skateboard. He sought out to break through the antiquated way that furniture was sold.
He’s anti-stuffy, anti-expected and an entrepreneur at heart. He’s a designer by day and a rebel against the norm.
So, you may be wondering how he made this online company so trusted and admired? Well, his goal was simple. First, he stripped away the frustrating parts of the shopping experience, like the pushy salespeople and 8-12-week lead times. Then he sourced the best materials he could find and put furniture customization in the hands of the customer (100+ fabric options, by-the-inch sizing). He wanted the furniture to not only make a statement but also be functional, durable and withstand everyday life, so he chose all performance proven fabrics. He then merged modern technology – like the ability to print full-scale printouts of the sofa before you purchase and a tracking system that lets you follow your furniture’s journey like you would an Uber car - with this dedication to handcrafted quality to deliver an impressive experience and a truly luxury product at an affordable price. The truth is, there’s a long list of things that make BenchMade Modern different, memorable, rebellious.
We call it Rebellious Luxury….
- We rebel against the idea that giving you customizable furniture is too difficult.
- We rebel against the notion that it should take months to make your dream custom sofa.
- We rebel against the fact that luxury should cost a fortune.
- We rebel against the idea that you need to choose between a fabulous fabric and one that offers worry-free living.
- We rebel against the notion that we’ll forget about you once your sofa is delivered. We won’t.
- We rebel against the fact that we can’t exceed your expectations. We will.
- We rebel against the norm.
Rebellious Luxury™ is defined by us. We are the rebels. You are the tastemakers.